Labels



March 11, 2010

Dr. Linus

Let's talk about LOST!   Dr. Linus.

Ben looks like he's running like the devil's chasing him through the dark jungle; he keeps looking back which causes him to trip and fall.
In perfect timing Ben looks to his right to see the torches of armed Ilana, armed Frank, Miles and Sun. Ben runs over to them and they circle him.
Ilana-"Where's Jarrah?"
Sarcastically "fine" Ben shares, "Considering he just killed Dogen I don't think he's going to be joining us."
Miles informs Sun that Dogen is the guy in charge of the Temple.
Ben-"Yeah, he killed the interpreter too."
Ilana asks if he's sure.
Ben-"He was standing over their dead bodies holding a bloody dagger, so yeah, I'm pretty sure."
Concerned Sun turns to Ilana, "You said we'd be safe at the Temple."
Well that's what Ilana was told. Ben suggests they go to the beach; the one where they lived and buried Locke. "At least we'll have the water at our backs and it's familiar territory. Anybody else got a better idea?"
The beach it is! Sun directs them to the beach.

Teacher Ben writes "ELBA" on the blackboard. {White chalk}
 "...and it was on this island that everything changed.  That everything finally became clear Elba... is where Napoleon faced his greatest test.  Because exile wasn't the worst of his fate.  What was truly devastating to him was the loss of his power. Sure, they allowed him to keep the title of Emperor... but without any power it was meaningless. He might just as well have been dead."
The class bell rings and teacher Linus tells his students to "Remember, five and six tomorrow. Thank you."
Deadpan Principal Reynolds appears in the doorway and tells Ben "Walk with me."

They walk through the exterior corridors among the students and a janitor on a ladder fixing something overhead.
Reynolds-"Linus, there's been a slight schedule shift, I'm going to need you to supervise detention after school today."
Ben-"What?"
Reynolds-"In fact, all week. Cutbacks, budget crises, events above your pay grade... needless to say, some of us have to pull double duty."
Ben is disappointed because he has history club today, "Those kids need me."
Sarcastic Reynolds-"There are five students in history club, Linus. They'll live."
Ben-"Shouldn't we be encouraging the ones with ambition?"
Reynolds-"Spare me. The club isn't for them, it's for you. It makes you feel needed. Unfortunately, for now, you're needed.... in detention.  Thanks for your understanding, Linus." He walks away.
Ben-"It's Dr. Linus, actually."

Ben sits down to lunch with Dr. Arzt who is complaining about his ruined shirt. {Note Ben's lunch has his name hand written/printed out on the clear box. He eats with chopsticks. His coffee cup has similar print}
Leslie-"Well, formaldehyde.  Formaldehyde's the problem. You know what gets out formaldehyde? Nothing. Maybe if I had some frickin' lab aprons I wouldn't have to pay for incompetent students with another trip to Marshall's."
Ben remarks,"Budget cutbacks..."
Leslie wonders how hard would it be for Reynolds to spread around a little of the love to the sciences. "You know, I'm dealing with lab equipment in there from the 1950's. Now why is that?"
Ben feels Principal Reynolds is an administrator; he's not a teacher. "He's forgotten what the public schools' system is about."
Leslie is annoyed, "Yeah... summers off in exchange for a crap pension. I'm happy to remind him."
Ben is adamant, "No. Taking care of the kids, that's what's important."
Leslie-"Okay, you just keep dreamin'..."
Ben knows Leslie has given up but he refuses to.  Just then Locke is heard saying, "Maybe you should be the principal."
Ben looks over to see John sitting at the other table.
Leslie-"So says the substitute..."
Ben-"What do you mean I should be the principal?"
John-"Just sounds like you care about this place. And if the man in charge doesn't, then maybe it's time for a change."
Ben appreciates the sentiment, "But, who's going to listen to me?"
John raises his left hand (adds a little wave) to it like a good student. "I'm listenin." {There are many file boxes.} This gets Ben thinking.
{Air plane engine/sounds-rumble}
Ilana, Sun, Frank, Miles, and Ben trek through the jungle.
Miles wants Ben to tell him what that was that thing back there.  Ben looks at Ilana.
Ben explains that thing's what killed her friends back at the statue.
Ilana-"And Jacob, right? It killed Jacob too."
Ben-"Yeah, of course, and Jacob."
Ilana-"Of course."
Suspicious Ilana looks at Miles and asks, "You're Miles, right?  Miles Straume?  You communicate with the dead."
Miles-"Not technically. I... I can tell you how someone died; pick up their last thoughts before they check out, but... I need to be near their body.
Ilana-"This is what's left of Jacob's body." 
She hands Miles the pouch of ash."So tell me, Miles... how did he die?"   Ben looks a little nervous.

Miles kneels down, closes his eyes, holds the little pouch and goes into his mumbo jumbo communication with the "other side".
Miles declares Linus killed him.




Ben-"What? That's not true!"
Ilana asks Miles if he's sure.
Miles-"He was standing over Jacob's body with a bloody dagger, so... yeah, I'm pretty sure." Ben stares at Miles.
Ilana looks at Ben and confesses, "Jacob was the closest thing I ever had to a father."
Ben is a bit stunned.
Miles looks at Ben and says Uh-oh. They continue to the beach.

When they arrive at the disheveled beach camp in daylight, Ilana looks for some tools and will get to work on some shelter. "The rest of you see what food's left. Maybe get a fire going."
Miles-"Yeah, a fire will fix everything..."
Ben approaches Ilana {she's pulling wires} and politely asks if there's anything she'd like him to do; she doesn't answer him.
Ben-"Psychic's totally unreliable. Miles actually tried to blackmail me once." {You mean Extortion, Ben!}
Pissed off Ilana walks away and Frank walks by and remarks to Ben, "You make friends easy, don't you?"
{Air plane engine/sounds-rumble}
Ben stands in front of the microwave as the timer counts down {5-4-3-2-1Hmm, a reverse version of Jack's count to five method. And of course we have Ben's reflection.} takes the frozen dinner out of the microwave and serves his sickly father who is on oxygen.
Ben made Roger one of the turkey meals, with the cranberry sauce that he likes. Roger wants to be sure it isn't one of those lean deals.  Ben assures him it's organic; "I'm trying to keep you healthy." {Love the dinner rolls. Crossword puzzle, black and white pen. A sporting event is heard where they're talking about a convergence to make it a tie game.}
Roger-"Well, it's a little too late for that. How was work?"
Ben tells his story as he changes Roger's oxygen tank. "I have a doctorate in modern European history, and yet I'm babysitting burnouts in detention..."
Roger-"Detention, huh?"
Ben-"And the worst of it is, as I look out at those ingrates that I'm tasked with watching...I can't help thinking...that maybe I'm more a loser than any of them."
Roger is compassionate. "This isn't the life I wanted for you, Ben. I wanted so much more."
Ben knows.
Roger-"That's why I signed up for that damn Dharma Initiative and took you to the island, and... they were decent people. Smarter than I'll ever be.  Imagine how different our lives would have been if we'd stayed."
Ben-"Yes, we'd have both lived happily ever after..."
Roger-"No, I'm serious, Ben! Who knows what you would have become?"
Ben turns on Roger's new tank and asks, "Now, does that feel better?"
Roger-"Ah, yes. Thank you."
The doorbell rings.  Ben answers the door to reveal blue eyed Alex.   Alex is there to ask where Dr. Linus was today.  "We had to cancel history club."
Ben apologizes and realized he should've put a note on the door. "The club meetings have to be postponed, I'm in detention all week."
Alex-"Oh yeah? What did you do?"
Ben laughs and shares that Principal Reynolds needs him to cover, so...
Alex tells him the AP {Advanced Placement}test this Friday and she was kind of... counting on the tutoring.
Ben-"Alright, how about this? Tomorrow morning, 7 A.M in the library. And you bring the coffee."   Alex is happy and thanks him; feeling he's the best. Alex waves goodbye.
Ben-"See you."
{Air plane engine/sounds-rumble}
At the beach, Sun asks Ilana, who is still pulling wire {toolbox} how long are they going to stay there. Ilana already told her she doesn't know yet. Sun's concern is finding her husband.
Ilana-"Trust me, if anyone wants to find him, it's me. But I don't know where to look."
Sun-"Why do you want to find Jin?
Ilana-"Because your last name is Kwon. So is his. And I don't know whether I'm supposed to protect you, him, or both of you.
Sun wants to know what she's protecting them from. Ilana informs Sun that she and Jin are candidates to replace Jacob.
Sun-"Replace him? To do what?"
Ilana-"If you're the one selected, I imagine you'll find out."   Ilana snips wires. We learn there are only six candidates left.

In the jungle Hurley is sleeping; he talks in his sleep. "Cheese curds..." {What's with the white rising smoke?}

Jack-"Hurley. Come on, wake up."
They can make it to the temple by nightfall.
Hurley is hungry and wants to eat breakfast first.
Jack says no; they can eat on the way.


Hurley wonders what the rush is and suggests that maybe they should "... take our time."
Jack-"Why?"
Hurley-"Because."
Jack is determined and is leaving, "You coming' or not?"
Hurley gives in and follows Jack. They get to a fork in the path where Hurley directs Jack,"Hold on, dude. It's this way."
Jack-"No, we came this way."
Hurley-"Yeah, but that was a mistake. This is faster. Trust me, it's just around here. It's a short cut.
Jack-"No, it's not."
Richard appears out of nowhere telling them,"You're both wrong. The Temple's that way."
Jack wonders where he came from and Richard feels he wouldn't believe him if I told him.
Jack-"Try me."
Richard-"Not yet. But if you wanna go to the Temple, it's this way."
Hurley asks Jack if he trusts that guy.
Jack-"At least he's not stallin'."   They follow Richard.
Ben searches Sawyer's old digs. {Books} Frank suggests when Ben's finished in the library to give him a hand gettin' some more firewood.
Ben-"Just lookin' for something useful...God... the things people will bring on a trip..." {finds a bottle of water from Oceanic} {Oh, yeah, they're all "tripping"}
Ben-"Oceanic... I remember that plane breakin' in half like it was yesterday.
Frank-"You sound nostalgic."
Frank shares he was supposed to be flyin Oceanic 815.
Ben-"And why didn't you?"
Frank-"I overslept."  He shares, "Can you believe it?  Imagine how different my life would be had that alarm gone off."
Ben-"How different would it have been? The island still got you in the end. Didn't it?"
They both smile and Frank walks away. {They know.}
Ilana points the rifle into Ben's neck and demands he walk.
She marches Ben to the beach camp cemetery.  Commands him "On the ground! Face down!" as she ties one end of the wires to a tree and fastens the other with a metal shackle to Ben's leg.  She demands he pick up the primitive "shovel" and start digging.
Ben-"Digging what?"
Ilana-"A grave."
Ben-"For who?"
Ilana-"You murdered Jacob. It's for you."
{Air plane engine/sounds-rumble}
Ben sits across from Alex in the library and encourages her with her studies.
Alex-"Expanded Lord Cornwallis' powers as governor general."
Ben-"Very good. Now, moving on to the Charter Act of 1813.  At the time of the Charter, the East India Trading Company's power extended to all of India, except for...
Alex struggles-"Uh... I don't know!"
Ben tells her it's okay; it's just a test.
Alex feels it's more than a test, "It's only my entire life, Dr. Linus."
Ben thinks she's being over dramatic.
Alex-"Am I? My mom works two jobs just to pay our rent. How am I gonna pay for college? Let alone Yale? Assuming I can even get in..."
Ben believes in her and tells her, "You're one of the brightest students I've ever had. I don't worry about your future at all."
Alex-" Really?"
Ben-"Really. Now, what can I do to help?  I'll write you a great letter of recommendation, I'll..."
Alex needs someone who went there.  Unfortunately, the only person she knows is that pervert Principal Reynolds.
Alex-"Forget I said that. I was just angry."
Ben-"Alex... has Principal Reynolds... done something to you?" 
Alex swears it's not that.    Alex will tell if he promises to keep it between them and of course Ben agrees.
Alex scoots over and sits next to Ben and gossips, "So, I was in the nurse's office a few months ago... I had a stomach ache and I just went in to find a cot and I fell asleep... when I work up, after school, in the other room Principal Reynolds was there. And the nurse... well, I guess she forgot I was in there. They were... you know... doing it!   In the room right next to me!   Where they give kids hearing tests!  Isn't that totally gross?"
Ben-"Totally."
Alex-"Dr. Linus, you're not gonna say something, are you?"
Ben-"No. No, a promise is a promise. Well... shall we return to the high seas?"
Alex-"Yeah. Sure."
{Air plane engine/sounds-rumble}
At the beach Ben slowly digs his grave while armed Ilana paces,  guarding.
Miles comes over to chat with Ben, "Not exactly tearing it up on the digging front, are you?"  Ben isn't in a big hurry.   Miles brought Ben some grub: green bean and banana.   Ben isn't really hungry.  As Miles is about to walk away Ben gets his attention.  "Miles... do you remember once you asked me for 3.2 million dollars? Do you still want it?"
Miles-"What are you gonna do? You gonna write me a check on this banana leaf?"
Ben-"I can get off this island.  And when I do, I have a vast network of people and resources that will get you that money.  All you have to do is cut me loose.
Miles-"Why would I need your money when there are a couple of Jabronies under there named Nikki and Paulo who got buried alive with 8 million dollars in diamonds on top of them?"
Ben-"I can't believe you're just gonna stand by and watch this happen. Ilana's gonna murder me for killing Jacob, a man who didn't even care about being killed!"
Miles corrects him, "No, he cared."
Ben-"Excuse me?"
Miles-"Right up until the second the knife went through his heart, he was hoping he was wrong about you. I guess he wasn't."
Miles walks away and Ilana fires a shot into the ground and demands "Dig!"

Richard leads Hurley and Jack through the jungle.
Hurley asks Richard, "So... you're not time-traveling?"
Richard-"No."
Hurley-"But... you look the same as you did thirty years ago."
How's it's possible Richard says it's not easy to explain.
Hurley-"Is this, like, a Terminator thing?   You a cyborg?
Richard-"No, I'm not a cyborg." {Good thing he knows what a cyborg is.}
Hurley-"Vampire?"
Richard shares that Jacob gave him a gift. The mention of Jacob gets Jack's attention,"Jacob? What do you know about him?"
Richard-"I know he's dead."
Richard has led them to the Black Rock. He lied to them about going to the temple.
Jack wonders why.
Richard- "Because everyone at the temple is dead."
Jack is concerned-"What do you mean they're all dead? What happened?"
Richard isn't sure what happened, but he just came from there and there's no survivors."
Jack-"What about our friends? Sayid? Kate?"
Richard-"Hope they weren't there. Maybe they made it out alive. All I know is, whatever you're looking for at the temple, it's not there."
Jack turns to Hurley, "You didn't want to go back there. Did you know about this?"
Hurley says Jacob kind of, sort of, hinted at it.   Richard is surprised, "You spoke to Jacob?
Richard advises,"Well, whatever he said... don't believe him."
Richard walks towards the ship.
Jack-"Where are you goin'?"
Richard-"There's something I need to do."
Jack-"To do what?"
Richard-"Die."  He marches in.

Ben enters a science lab classroom where Leslie Arzt is grading tests asking if he's got a minute.
Arzt-"Yes. I guess. Might as well give them all F's.  Tell me, how hard is it to learn the difference between a genus and speciesWhat do you want?"
Ben-"You're pretty good with computers aren't you?"
Arzt-"Something tells me you wouldn't be standing here if you didn't already know that I was."
Ben-"Could you...hypothetically...access someone's email account without their knowledge?"
Arzt-"I gue...yeah, it depends on the account."
Ben-"Say a faculty account. Hypothetically."
Arzt wonders who and Ben admits Nurse Kondrak.
Arzt  excitedly asks if Ben has the hots for Kim.  Ben isn't. He's just...curious about some of her correspondence.
Arzt-"With whom?"
Ben makes a face.
Arzt is getting annoyed, "OK, that's fine. I didn't come to see you, you came to see me. I don't have time to play twenty questions.  Now either you can tell me what it is you're doing, or you can let me finish grading my papers in peace."
Ben confesses he has reason to believe that she might be engaged in an inappropriate personal relationship with Principal Reynolds.
Arzt-"You're making a play! You're going after the big job, aren't you?"
Ben-"Are you going to help me or not, Leslie?"
Arzt states his terms for his assistance in the covert operation.  "I want a good spot.  I want Lamour's spot in the main parking lot, the one next to the maple tree not under the maple tree, next to the maple tree. That way I get the shade from the maple tree, but not all that tree crap all over the hood of my car. I want aprons. I want lots of aprons, and I want lab equipment in here that was built in this decade, is that a deal?"
Ben-"Deal."
Arzt-"You know, you really had me fooled with that sweater vest. Linus you're a real killer!" 
{Air plane engine/sounds-rumble}
Ben continues digging his grave on the beach.  He is getting exhausted.

Inside the Black Rock Jack finds Richard checking out the old iron chains/shackles.  Jack realized Richard's been there before.
Richard-"Yes. And in all the time I've spend on this island, today is the first time I've ever come back.
Hurley calls out for Jack " Dude where are you?"
Jack-"I'm in here."
Hurley enters; Jack has a lantern.  Richard opens the dynamite box and Hurley freaks out!  Dynamite is mega unstable!  Richard knows this.
Hurley shares that Dr. Arzt knew it too, "And I was wiping him out of my shirt two days later."   Hurley tells Jack it's time to go.
Jack-"No, not yet."
Hurley-"He's opening up a crate of dynamite, and he said he wanted to kill himself."
Richard-"I can't kill myself...even if I wanted to, trust me, I do. I can't kill myself. Which is why I want you to do it for me."
Jack-"What are you talking about ?
Richard-"What I'm talking about Jack is that...Jacob touched me, and when Jacob touches you... well it's considered a gift... except it's not a gift at all. It's a curse."   {Puts down dynamite hard}
Hurley is near panic!
Jack calmly asks Richard "Why do you want to die?"
Richard-"I devoted my life, longer than you can possibly imagine, in service of a man who told me that everything was happening for a reason, that he had a plan, plan that I was a part of, when the time was right that he'd share it with me, and now that man's gone so...why do I want to die?  Because I just found out my entire life had no purpose. Now if I light this myself it wouldn't work, but you can light it for me Jack. I made the fuse long enough so you'll have time to get out."
Hurley pleads with Jack, "Please tell me you're not actually considering this?"
Jack feels if Richard wants to die there's nothing they could do to stop him.  Jack lights the fuse and sits down with Richard.  Jack is very much in control and suggests, "Now, let's talk."
Hurley-"Jack ! Dude we gotta go, the guy's crazy and I know crazy!"
Jack tells Hurley to go ahead, "We'll be all right."
Hurley insists he's gonna blow up and Jack insists he has to talk to Richard.  Hurley won't go without Jack.
Jack-"Hurley, I'll be fine."
Hurley-"If you change your mind, I'll be like a mile away."
Hurley hurries away.  Richard suggests Jack go with Hurley because Jack's gonna die.   Jack doesn't think either one of them is gonna die because...
Jack-"I just came from a lighthouse...where my name was etched in wood on a dial...I turned a mirror... that somehow reflected the image of the house I grew up in.  Jacob's lighthouse. He got Hurley to bring me out there because he wanted me to see what was reflected in that mirror. For some reason he wanted me to know that he had been watching me ever since I was a kid."
Richard asks why.
Jack-"I have no idea why. But I'm willing to bet you that if Jacob went to that trouble, that he brought me to this island for a reason, and it's not blow up sitting here with you right now."
Richard feels that's a pretty big risk Jack's taking and Jack knows that.
Richard wonders, "What if you're wrong?"
Jack-"I'm not."    The fuse burns to the end then goes out. {Well Jack, you were wrong about the Hydrogen bomb (which was really the core) blowing up gig in Dharmaville.}
Jack-"Wanna try another stick"
Richard-"All right Jack. You seem to have all the answers. Now what?"
Jack-" We go back to where we started."

While Ben works on his grave he hears the sounds of the Smoke Monster ... Locke suddenly appears. "Hello Ben."
Ben wonders what he's doing here.
Locke-"Visiting. What are you doing?"
Ben-"I'm digging my own grave."
Locke-"Why?"
Ben-"Because you talked me into killing Jacob. You see that woman over there eating a mango?  She's his bodyguard and she knows what I did. So now you've got what you wanted because she's going to kill me.
Locke-"I don't want you to die Ben. In fact I went back to the statue to get you, but you'd already gone."
Ben-"Get me ? For what."
Locke-"I'm gathering a group to leave this place for good. But once we're gone, someone's going to need to be in charge of the island.
Ben-"Me?"
Locke-"I can't think of a better man for the job."
Ben-"Well it doesn't seem very likely does it, under the circumstances. How am I going to get away from...
Locke magically frees Ben from his wire and metal leg restraint.   He tells him to "Come to the other island, to the Hydra station. That's where we'll be."
Ben fears, "She'll come after me."
Locke-"200 yards inland there's a tree in a clearing with a rifle leaning up against it.  If you go now you'll get there first, and you'll have the drop on her.   But don't hesitate - she won'tSee you soon, Ben."
Ben makes a break for it and heads into the jungle. Ilana runs after him.
{Air plane engine/sounds-rumble}
Ben knocks on the Principal Reynolds' door. Reynolds tells him to come in but informs him that he doesn't have time to listen to him complain about detention. That's not why Ben is there; he wants to read him something.  Reynolds assumes this is Ben's attempt to revive his little club.
Ben presents him with thirty emails covering a three-month period.  It's pretty lascivious stuff, which would be fine if it was private, but they seem to describe acts that took place on school property Acts which, morality aside,he thinks the school board would frown on; not to mention Reynold's wife.   Reynold's realizing this is blackmail, asks Ben what he wants.
Ben-"Your job. You're going to resign. For, I don't know ... personal reasons, health... your call. But with your resignation you're going to recommend the school board hire me as your replacement. And the irony of all this is that they hold you in such esteem that I'll get the job.   So, do we have an understanding."


 Ben is stunned and just stares as Reynolds reads.

 Reynolds-"Linus, may I read you an email ?  'Dear principal Reynolds, I would appreciate it if you would write a letter of recommendation to Yale on my behalf. It would mean the world to me. Sincerely, Alexandra Rousseau.'  It's a funny thing about recommendations Linus, they work both ways. So, I put the ball back in your court. You can execute your little Machiavellian maneuvers, go for my job, sit at my desk, but alas there will be an unfortunate side effect. I will torch Miss Rousseau and her future. Is my job, my power, that important to you? So, what'll it be, Dr. Linus?"
{Air plane engine/sounds-rumble}
Ben runs through jungle and finds the rifle as Ilana catches up to him.  Ben makes her drop her weapon.
All Ben wants to do is explain that he knows what she's feeling.  "I watched my daughter Alex die in front of me. And it was my fault. I had a chance to save her. But I chose the island over her. All in the name of Jacob. I sacrificed everything for him. And he didn't even care. Yeah I stabbed him, I was... so angry...confused...I was terrified that I was about to lose the only thing that had ever mattered to me - my power. But the thing that really mattered was already gone. I'm sorry that I killed Jacob. I am, and I do not expect you to forgive me because...I can never forgive myself."
Ilana-"Then what do you want?"
Ben wants to be let go; to go with Locke.  Broken Ben feels Locke is the only one who'll have him.
Armed Ilana tells Ben,"I'll have you."
She walks away and Ben follows her.

Ben is in Reynolds' office looking at the things on the desk. Reynolds is not there. {David Lawrence Reynolds}   Alex  comes in to thank Reynolds for the incredible letter of recommendation her wrote on her behalf. She asks Ben if he had anything to do with it. Ben says it wasn't him," But I always say you're a a great student, obviously I wasn't the only one who noticed."
Reynolds walks in asking what the hell Ben is doing in his office.
Ben is upbeat. He's just dropping off the detention sign-up sheet for the week, per your request.
Ben asks if he'll see Alex in history club.
Alex-"You mean when it's back on?"
Ben-" Oh no, we've got our old slot back. Principal Reynolds found someone to cover for detention. Isn't that right?"
Reynolds-"Yes, that's right."
Ben-"Well then, see you at four."
Ben walks out of the Administration doorway {J-4 handicap logo}.
Arzt meets up with Ben outside and asks if he did it. Ben admits he didn't.
Arzt is perturbed, "No? No! Wait...what about my parking space?"
Ben-"You can have mine."  Ben watches Happy Alex in the distance.
{Air plane engine/sounds-rumble}
Ben and Ilana return to the beach camp.   Ben approaches Sun who is working on her tent; he offers her a hand.
Sun-"Please help me with the tarp."  He does.
Frank puts more sticks on the fire and sits.
Miles takes a closer look at a diamond.
Ilana morns her pouch of ash.
Hurley, Jack and Richard arrive.  Sun, Lapidus, Ilana and Miles welcome them in the beautiful traditional slow motion "Welcome Home" greeting.   They all hug and there is much joy!   Jack greets Ilana. Ben and Richard stand opposite and alone from the group.    Jack looks at Ben.

{Richard's arrival on the beach reminds me of when Jack brought Juliet back to the beach.}
A submarine approaches and raises periscope. The American crew guy at the periscope asks, "Sir, there are people on the beach. Should we stop?"
Widmore-"No. Proceed as planned."
Crewman- "Yes Sir, Mr. Widmore."





Dr. Linus is a GREAT episode!!!
We had a few Wizard of Oz moments.  I was brought back to the cowardly lion running through the poppy field (the poppies put you to SLEEP!) and when Richard appears and gives directions to Jack and Hurley that moment reminded me of the Scarecrow telling Dorothy which way to go.lol.

Things on the "Island" are changing, but is this enabling the Lostie's to see things more clearly.
The "Island" and its many tests, yes, there is no doubt they are being tested on many levels.  Who is passing the test and who is failing?  It seems to be a continuing loop of learning until you get it right.  After all this isn't the first or even second time we've seen people {Jack} have to go back to where there started.
Ah, the beach camp.  According to Miles this is one of the only two plans they really ever have; The Orchid-The Beach.   He mentions this in LaFleur.

We saw a different Ben in this episode but I also saw traits of the Ben we all have come to know.  He still got what he wanted out of Reynolds.  Here Ben is a Doctor.
Ben wanted to see Alex again and he did.  But I am wondering if you have to be careful what you wish for.

Napoleon's exile story is reflected on the "Island".   The "Island"  has a need for someone to guard and protect it; someone in charge.  We have seen different persons in power exiled before and we know Charles Widmore is one who wants that power back.

Things to note...Questions to ask...
* Equipment. Computers. Wires. Hack. Tools. Library. Network. Internet. Files. Email. F's (function keys F5-refresh key, F6-moves to next pane.) 
* Bug. (Computer bug? Bug in your ear? Surveillance? Something bugging you. All of those?)
* Terminator: A created solider.
* Cyborg: an organism that has artificial,natural and mechanical systems.
* Power.
* Oxygen. Breathe.
* Files. Rank. In charge. 
* Teach. Learn. School. College. 
* Lab. Tests. Grade.
* Science. History.
* Hear. Listen.  See. Clear.
* Washington Tustin High School.
* We literally see Ben connected to a fucking "tree" by wires. Wired.
* Black/dark. White/light. Blackboard-chalk. Crossword puzzle. Pen.
* Trade. Deal. Bargain.
* Time running out. Countdown. No time.
* Short cut. Wrong way. Do over.  Hints.
* Club.
* Game. Play. Ball's in your court.
* Crazy. Psychology. Machiavellianism. Health. Tripping/drug induced
* Trip. Wired.
* Tarp anagram = TRAP.      Elba= ABLE {or BALE}
* Ben's club has 5 kids and Ben is in a group of 5 headed to the beach.
* The pictures, nick-knacks, books, etc in the "Flashes"  connect to the "Island"
* Locke encourages Ben to join them.  Free will or manipulation?
* "Can't kill myself."    Michael couldn't kill himself either. 
* Remember. Forget.
* Deteriorating. Decaying. Ailing health.
* Reflected images. Mirrors. Light. Smoke.
* Arzt was not wearing a wedding ring.
* Ben was digging his own grave.
* Why are we seeing the "Island" residents in L.A.?
* Marshall's (the store).  Marshal Edward Mars.  {Guide}
* I'm reminded of the look Ben and Sayid shared on board Ajira flight 316.
* Things are wrong.
* Richard advises,"Well, whatever he said... don't believe him."    Last season Sayid advised Hurley to do the opposite of whatever Ben wanted him to do.
* Where did Miles get the diamond?  Nikki and Paulo?
* Did Jack "grow up" in Jacob's Lighthouse?
* Where did Jack's new attitude come from?
* Fire and water are both symbolic of cleansing.
* "Six candidates left"
* Are these "candidates" all Doctors or just Jack?  {Or is that all the same thing?}
*  "The Island got you anyway".
* Here Hurley talks in his sleep.    In season 1, in the caves we learn Jack was a "sleep talker".
* FRIDAY:   Again I'll mention that broken Jack flew every Friday to "get back".
* Water. High Seas. Ship. Sub.

Vocabulary and Research...
* Formaldehyde is an intermediate in the oxidation (or combustion) of methane as well as other carbon compounds, e.g. forest fires, in automobile exhaust, and in tobacco smoke. When produced in the atmosphere by the action of sunlight and oxygen on atmospheric methane and other hydrocarbons, it becomes part of smog.
Can be used in:
In photography: for process C-41 (color negative film) stabilizer in the final wash step, as well as in the process E-6 pre-bleach step, to obviate the need for it in the final wash.
As a disinfectant and biocide: kills most bacteria and fungi (including their spores). It is also used as a preservative in vaccines. Formaldehyde solutions are applied topically in the treatment of warts.
Many aquarists {Fish keepers} use formaldehyde as a treatment for the parasites.
Tissue fixative and embalming agent:to disinfect and temporarily preserve human and animal remains.
- Formaldehyde is the first album by the rock band Terrorvision. It was recorded at The Chapel in June 1992,
* Benjamin Disraeli- Justice and Truth in Action.  He was the 1st Earl of Beaconsfield and was a literary and social figure.
* The Chosen: written by Chaim Potok 1967.
* Elba: is an Mediterranean island in Tuscany, Italy. The island is divided into eight municipalities.
* Napoleon: Military and political leader of France, who was banished to the island Elba in 1814.
* The East India Trading Company: An early English joint-stock company that was formed initially for pursuing trade with the East Indies, but that ended up trading mainly with the Indian subcontinent and China; Traded mainly in cotton, silk, indigo dye, saltpetre{component for black powder/gunpowder}, tea, and opium.
-The East India Trading Company, is a fictionalized version of the British East India Company that serves as one of the antagonistic forces within the Pirates of the Caribbean.
* Machiavellianism is,"the employment of cunning and duplicity in statecraft or in general conduct", deriving from the Italian Renaissance diplomat and writer Niccolo Machiavelli,  who wrote Il Principe (The Prince) and other works.. The word has a use in modern psychology and is used to describe a person's tendency to deceive and manipulate others for personal gain.   Machiavellianism is one of the three personality traits referred to as the dark triad, , along with narcissism and psychopathy.
* Detention:  1). a punishment used in schools    2). imprisonment of somebody guilty or suspected of a crime
- Detention basin: an artificial flow control structure that is used to contain flood water for a limited period of a time.
- Immigration detention: imprisonment of unauthorized person entering a country
* Diamond- From the Ancient Greek word for "Unbreakable".
* Diamond Sutra
* Beta wave, or beta rhythm, is the term used to designate the frequency range of brain  activity between 12 and 30 Hz.  Beta states are the states associated with normal waking consciousness.



This season has demonstrated a lot about the "Island" residents wanting to die or die and come back to life.  Are we to take this literally?  Do they just "die" in the game as a sacrifice or for some other reason?  Or is it a part of their learning and growth as in a "rebirth."
In the episode Dave I noted that Dave let himself go over the cliff and he wanted Hurley to do the same. He also said Hurley wouldn't die, that doing it would actually bring him back to life, snap him out of it...wake him up.
 Zen proverb, “Let go over a cliff, die completely, and then come back to life - after that you cannot be deceived”.


In Buddhism there are ten states of existence. Each Dharma realm has its own characteristics and its existence is attributed to the retribution of the beings. These ten realms do not appear to be discrete in their forms, as their existence is virtually determined by the state of mind. Therefore, it is important to note that the ten Dharma realms are not beyond a single thought.
The lowest six realms are known as the Six Realms of Rebirth. These six states of existence are subjected to birth and death, and then rebirth for many lives. One's state of existence depends on one's karmic activities. With evil karmic power, one will be born in the lowest three realms, known as Three Evil Path (of transmigration). With good and kind karma, one will be born in the upper three realms, known as Three Good Paths (of transmigration).
Six Realms of Rebirth:
Hell: Suffering is most severe, continuous and everlasting. Those beings must have committed unforgivable and evil deed, with no regret or repent.
Ghost: In this realm, most of the ghosts always live in the atmosphere of anxiety, illusion and fear. Their desires are never satisfied. The hungry ghosts cannot eat as their throat is as narrow as a pin, but their stomach is as large as a drum.
Animal: Animals have minimal intelligence and consciousness. They live in adaption to the nature. As their behavior follows instinct without deliberation, their karma is neutral, i.e. neither good nor evil.
Asura: In terms of material enjoyment and psychic power, it is similar to Deva. However, in some aspects, it is even worse than Human Path. The male Asura is extremely ugly, while the female is as beautiful as an angel. The male Asura always fights with each other as they are cruel and furious. They are proud of themselves, and reluctant to learn and practice the Buddhist teachings. This realm is formless.
Human: In this realm, we have both happiness and suffering. It is a material world, and the mind activities are always connected with the principles of matter. Joy and happiness are limited as freedom is also limited by the body and other sensual organs of a man. On the other hand, suffering can be the main cause or condition to allow man to possess a kind heart, thus to pursue the Buddhist Way.
Deva: It is a heaven for those who are wise and kind as the retribution for their good deed. Their major desires will be satisfied. Once a person has perfected themselves in the Ten Wholesome Actions, they are qualified to ascend to heaven.





At this point the story continues to show us the Lostie's and the "Island's" need for balance.  We all want to feel needed and want to have a purpose.  A few of the residents are evolving and growing up, learning their way all along the path of their destiny.  But even with some changes we see that the "Island" still got them anyway.   Is it possible we are seeing some sort of therapy/psychology/reform used to treat criminals or insane people?  I'm just asking!

We all wonder how different our lives would be if we had made different choices along the way.   Maybe you were faced with one life changing decision and you made your choice and things didn't turn out like you hoped they would have.  With the disappointment you feel over the turnout of that choice, I think it's natural to assume that if you had made the other choice instead, things would have been so much better...but there is absolutely no guarantee that would be the case.  In our imagination the grass always seems greener on the other side.  If we only had the ghost of Christmas "Different Choices" to show us what our lives would be like if we made other choices.  Or better yet, just get hooked up to a computer that could run you through different scenarios and you choose the correct answers based on the tested outcomes before you even make a choice.

For all these years of posting potential clues, and in this case clues about computers, wires/wired, learning, head/mind; this episode was filled with them.  But what could it be showing us?  Of course I get a lot of heat with bringing up this potentially important bit of information.  This would include my thoughts on them never being out of the "confines" of the "Island" and their adventure happening under the guise of a game.  But if there ever was an episode to bring it up again it's this one.  The answer I seek most of all is "how is their adventure happening?"   If they aren't really dead and in purgatory I know I must search for the other answer to this question.
I wrote about some of my research and a few ideas for this particular set of  potential clues in:
...and yet we keep playing it.

In the past I mentioned a lineage to the "Island".   We see the Lostie's parents have ties to the "Island" and  in some cases the connections go further back.  This season we have seen the importance of children in the lives of some of the "Island" residents.  Will we see that they are fighting this "Island" battle for the glory of leaving a powerful legacy and setting things up for the next generation to continue the protection of the "Island"?
"Taking care of the kids, that's what's important."

Love to all who are "LOST"™

Disclaimer: I never claim to know everything about the show and my thoughts by no means make me right! The things I share here are my views and/or opinions. I don't claim to catch every single detail either! You all know I hate spoilers! And I stand clear of reading certain sites as to not take me off my own course of research. The one thing I don't need to do here is rehash all of the obvious clues from an episode, we all know what they are. Understood? Good! Let the fun begin! I'll only note things that I know come up as clues later, but need to be noted when they first show up and things I find that will be of importance! It will get very exciting as we progress into the story.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely write-up :) I didn't even notice all the boxes of files behind Locke's head - they seem weird now that I think about it =\

    ReplyDelete

Comments at Karen's LOST Notebook are being moderated. Any abusive comments or spam will be removed.